Featured Post

I've been practicing my ladder stitch. It's a sewing method used to repair seams invisibly. I have used this stitch many times on qu...

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

I've been practicing my ladder stitch. It's a sewing method used to repair seams invisibly. I have used this stitch many times on quilts in need of the repair of seams whose stiches have come undone. Many times the thread had given way because of age and wear. If the fabric is intact, new thread can be used to repair the seam and the ladder stitch is the one to use.

I have made some fabric pieces to practice on by matching two ten inch pieces of fabric and sewing outermost 2 inches of one of the long sides together. I pressed the seam open all the way along the side. This made about an 8 inch opening to practice on. I can use the ladder stitch to close the seam, evaluate my work and then take out the stitches to do it again.

Why practice? I feel I can never get accomplished enough at hand stitching. It doesn't come easy to me. I know that the more I do, the better my sewing is. Sounds logical, I know. So if I set up little practice pieces to work on while watching TV or waiting at a doctor's office I'll get more accurate and faster at using the stitches best suited to quilt repair. Accuracy and speed are important when repairing and restoring quilts for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment