Featured Post

I've been practicing my ladder stitch. It's a sewing method used to repair seams invisibly. I have used this stitch many times on qu...

Sunday, November 13, 2016

In my last post, I referred to Barbara Brachman's book which is an encyclopedia of quilt patterns. It is entitled Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns and was published in 1993. It has been revised but not a lot changed. It is complicated to use. The categories are organized by shapes. I had looked up my snowball quilt but made the mistake of choosing a pattern that is block-based rather than piece based. So the actual names for the quilt I pictured are Hummingbird, Bluet Quilt and Periwinkle. The reference number in Brachman's book is 445.9. It is not included in the listings for snowball quilts but in the section entitled "eight-sided shape as a piece". As time goes on I will keep browsing through the book bit by bit. Bit by bit because it's a daunting task. But it is an interesting book and the more I can learn about quilt patterns, the better for me.

In the introduction to this book, Ms. Brachman emphasizes that the name of a quilt pattern is the one you use. In other words, it really doesn't matter what someone else called it, or calls it. That sort of explains why she discovered so many different names for some of the patterns. It also makes sense that quilt makers named their creations whatever they wanted to even if a pattern they used or made was published under another name. Also, in the past twenty years, many, many quilt designers have adjusted and renamed quilt patterns to reflect our modern techniques and styles.




No comments:

Post a Comment