Featured Post

I've been practicing my ladder stitch. It's a sewing method used to repair seams invisibly. I have used this stitch many times on qu...

Thursday, November 10, 2016

I spent last Saturday volunteering at The Wisconsin Museum of Quilts and Fiber Arts. It was documentation day. My role was as part of a team that measured, described and photographed the quilts that were brought in. The quilts are eventually listed in the national quilt data base.

What an interesting day! Some of the quilts were vintage. Some were just the tops and one had a newspaper foundation. Fun to read the newspaper bits for dates and names. Other quilts were newly finished. I loved seeing the pride on the faces of the quilters who brought in their work and talked about the patterns and the techniques The data base of quilts is a great way to honor quilt makers and keep track of quilts as they move around the country. Anyone can check a quilt's heritage by looking at the label sewn on the back that tells where the documentation took place and the quilt's reference number. An eleven page document is used to describe the quilt and it's provenance so the data base has a wealth of information.

I met some wonderful people and had an exhausting but very learning filled day.

No comments:

Post a Comment