Featured Post

I've been practicing my ladder stitch. It's a sewing method used to repair seams invisibly. I have used this stitch many times on qu...

Saturday, October 29, 2016

So the quilts in my collection range in vintage from the mid 1800's to the 1960's. There are some whose vintage has not been documented, some because I haven't gotten around to having them appraised and some because I don't think an appraisal will add to my sense of what they are worth, at least to me. As I've said before, I don't have a large budget for collecting so most of what I have is mine because I liked it, it was available, and it was a good price for me.

My oldest quilts are both from the 1800's. They are both displayed continuously, one in my family room and one in my living room. Neither is directly affected by window light. They both have sleeves in the top and bottom which allows rotation a couple of times a year. They get vacuumed at the same time they are rotated. Neither gets washed anymore.

I have a couple that I believe are circa the turn of the 20th century. They are stored and shared at presentations. Most of the quilts in my collection that are in really good shape are from the mid 1900's. They get washed very occasionally. They are alternately stored and displayed and even sometimes used.

And, of course, I have newer quilts that I made. Technically they're in the collection but as I have said before, I believe the quilts I make should be used and used and used, so mine are. In a way, I think most quilt makers feel the same way. A lot of love as well as blood sweat and tears go into quilt production.  What is all that effort for if not to be loved into softness? So while my more fragile quilts are protected, most are out and in use.

No comments:

Post a Comment