Featured Post

I've been practicing my ladder stitch. It's a sewing method used to repair seams invisibly. I have used this stitch many times on qu...

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Other methods of cleaning quilts, in addition to washing, are much less intrusive. They don't compromise the fibers which are deteriorating slowly but constantly. Washing can weaken fabric and actually break it down faster than not cleaning it at all. When I had my quilt from the 1860's appraised, I was to cautioned to never wash it again, and I haven't.

So, how to help our fragile quilts with the dust and dirt of life in our home? Well, first, displaying a quilt correctly will help. Keeping it away from damaging conditions, like cooking or fireplaces which send lots of dirt into the air. Keeping it out of sunlight is important also. There are some who suggest that quilts should never be displayed at all, but carefully stored out of the influences of air and light. I can't agree with that. The quilts I collect are living, breathing history and may be all that survives a quiltmaker. Okay, a bit dramatic. But because I respect the efforts that produced the quilts I have, I want to see them, enjoy them, and share them.

It turns out that airing quilts out of sunlight is a good idea. I have a small screened porch but it's usually so crowded that I couldn't air any quilt for a long enough time to help it shed it's dust. Airing does help with odors also.

From what I read, and have done, vacuuming quilts is an efficient way of cleaning them. Use a screen to protect the fabric from the pull of the vacuum. You can extract a lot of dust by this method. I have several quilts that get vacuumed several times a year. It probably should be done more often but I do my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment