Featured Post

I've been practicing my ladder stitch. It's a sewing method used to repair seams invisibly. I have used this stitch many times on qu...

Monday, October 3, 2016

I've been reading Ann Wasserman's book entitled Preserving Our Quilt Legacy: Giving Antique Quilts the Special Care They Deserve. She is a quilt conservator and expresses great respect for quilts and the historical value they have. While she works with bonafide antique textiles, much of what she says should be considered when repairing any quilt.

Ms.Wasserman outlines the concepts behind three underlying rules of quilt care: "1) Do as little as possible, 2) Don't do anything that can't be undone, and 3) Preventative maintenance is the best medicine".  While I understand what she means by these three things and can pretty much do many of the work she teaches about in this book, I don't believe that the quilts I work with are best served by doing the minimum or just displaying many of them to avoid what it would take to make them more useful. The quilters I've known all my life share the philosophy that the work to make a quilt is worth it only if the quilt is used and used and used. The third rule makes a lot of sense but doesn't mean that the quilt should be stored and never used to preserve it. The other two make sense also but sometimes repairs that really aren't meant to be undone are necessary.

The bowtie quilt I described in my last post has very raggedy worn binding. I believe that if the binding is renewed, the quilt will have many years of life by which to delight. I had considered removing the worn binding. Now I that I have read what Ms. Wasserman has to offer, I think that sewing a new binding over the old may be best. That way, I won't  do any more damage trying to remove stitches, the old binding will provide a base for the new, and if anyone is interested in the future, the new binding could be removed so the old could be studied.

This is a good book. Consider reading it.


No comments:

Post a Comment