Featured Post

I've been practicing my ladder stitch. It's a sewing method used to repair seams invisibly. I have used this stitch many times on qu...

Saturday, October 29, 2016

I was thinking about organization of quilts collections. Included in mine are intact, wholly quilted pieces that need no repair, quilts that need repair, both quilts and unquilted tops that are in the que for evaluation, quilts and tops in some stage of being repaired, pieces of quilts and orphan blocks that will never be quilted or changed in any way, pieces and orphan blocks slated to be made into something useful, and examples of quilts and blocks that I use in my presentations so will leave as is.

Whew! So, how do I organize and store all of this stuff? I'm not sure it's organized all that well even if I can find it all without much effort. When I take things to a presentation, I pack some of it in large plastic soft cubes that zip closed. These fit well into a suitcase with wheels. What doesn't fit into the cubes is put in plastic bags to protect from moisture. But that's a short term travel solution. I can't keep the quilts in plastic very long.

I am trying to ensure that my quilts and other items go back into their places so I can keep track as well as knowing that they are folded and protected. Most of the time that works but on occasion, something gets placed on a shelf that doesn't belong there. Finding the time to straighten things out can be challenging. It's a constant battle and when another piece gets added to the collection, things must be rearranged.

I started an written inventory on my laptop to help me remember which piece is in which place so I won't need to disturb whole piles trying to find what I want. I plan to develop a coding system that will enable quick recovery of what I need for the presentations I give. One is a workshop on quilt repair, restoration and conservation. I have quilt examples of the techniques used for each kind of quilt preservation. I also have a couple of quilts that I use to lead participants in evaluating worn and damaged quilts and deciding what type of repair would be best for the purpose the quilt will serve.

The other workshop is about options for working with quilt tops and orphan blocks. I have several examples of quilt tops and the repair needed to help them be suitable for quilting. I add in a couple of pieces that didn't work out so it's clear how and why not all unfinished tops can be made into something else. I have a good collection of orphan blocks and some sets of blocks whose purpose remains a mystery that I talk about and share.

My point is that I need to get and then keep all these things organized. Any other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment