Featured Post

I've been practicing my ladder stitch. It's a sewing method used to repair seams invisibly. I have used this stitch many times on qu...

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Ever wonder how long it took a woman in the 1860's to make a quilt? I'm looking at the circa 1860 quilt I mentioned in the previous post as it hangs on my family room wall. It is composed of Ohio Star blocks separated by sashing with a pieced border.

The blocks are meticulously pieced with sharp points and even blocks. So, how did the maker do that? Did she make templates from paper? Where did she get the variety of fabric? There are at least 20 different fabric patterns in the quilt, not including the sashing, borders and backing. The backing is all one pattern, made of several pieces sewn together. Since the home sewing machine wasn't around until the 1860's, it's not surprising that the quilt is hand pieced.

I'm sure that the life she had was very different from mine. No TV, no phones, no computers but also no miracle cleaning supplies, no clean heating system, no modern plumbing and no cars. Wow - how did she find time to sew? Or was that a way to both keep her hands busy and make useful things for her household, especially during the long winter months.

How do I find time to sew? Good question. Sometimes it's easy: I just start sewing instead of doing something else. Sometimes I have to strike a bargain with family members so I can work without too many interruptions. Other times days go by without a stitch. I have taken years to finish some quilts, days to finish others.

How long did it take her? Did she have a sense of accomplishment when she finished it or was it just immediately put to use to keep someone warm and the effort forgotten? There are no answers, just a beautiful, old, fragile quilt to admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment