Featured Post

I've been practicing my ladder stitch. It's a sewing method used to repair seams invisibly. I have used this stitch many times on qu...

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

I've been bidding on vintage quilt tops and lots of orphan blocks on eBay. There are always quite a few to decide between and I have to go with what my budget will allow but I'm game to increase my collection. I have an eclectic assortment of quilts that all need some kind of repair.

My favorites are quilts made in a truly scrappy fashion. I love looking at different pieces and imagining what clothing item they came from and maybe even how many clothing items were made from a fabric before any surviving scraps were tossed in a scrap bag to end up in a quilt. I have read accounts of how a woman's dress which was worn in some places would be cut down for a dress for a younger woman, a boy's shirt or a girl's dress. After that item was worn out, any surviving fabric may be made into a toddler or infant dress. Any part that made it through may be used as a rag or towel. Smaller pieces that were still strong and not too faded made it to the scrap basket or bag. Fabric scraps were not only used for quilt piecing but also for patching clothing and quilts. Thread was also saved from garments. And almost anything resembling long strands of fiber were used for sewing. Sometimes fabric was unraveled for thread. I even  have a quilt that looks like it was pieced with white string! Women who were that resourceful are my heroes.

One quilt I was able to get for very little money s a lovely, soft bowtie design. The only problem it has is worn and frayed binding. I plan to replace the binding with new fabric. This quilt is not a museum piece so my purpose is to repair it for my use.

 
Binding is a very important element in the life of a quilt. Because the binding on this one is so worn, I am assuming that it was well used. What stories a quilt like this could tell!







No comments:

Post a Comment