Featured Post

I've been practicing my ladder stitch. It's a sewing method used to repair seams invisibly. I have used this stitch many times on qu...

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Time, time, time. Throughout my entire life, I have been unable to get a grip on the time factor. I've already written about retirement and the evaporation of time that occurs during the exact period everyone assumes will be open and available for completing projects, making choices about how to spend our days, and doing all of the things we'd said we'd do after work didn't get in our way.
Each night as I'm falling asleep, I review the day to rest my mind about what I accomplished, how my interactions with others matched my intentions, and the things I want or need to do the next day. Lately, I haven't had much to think about in terms of creative accomplishments. Days seem to fly by and I know they're full of yardwork, grandchild care, household tasks, and appointments of one sort or another. But I want to find more time to sew. Rescuing and repairing old quilts is a favorite pastime. However it always gets moved down the list of things that need accomplishing in a timely way. When I take on a repair job for someone else, it gets done right away. Does that mean I still make time for what I feel is real work? And not so much for creative time?

I know I'm not the only one who notices time leaking away. I also know from reading the blogs of others that scheduling work on creative projects is sometimes the best way to make sure the time is dedicated. That's not something I've been able to do. I need deadlines and abbreviated time frames to push my work.

Does that happen to you? How do you make time for the creative work and still get everything else done?

No comments:

Post a Comment