Featured Post

I've been practicing my ladder stitch. It's a sewing method used to repair seams invisibly. I have used this stitch many times on qu...

Friday, April 29, 2016

About 15 years ago I found four beautifully pieced 16 inch blocks scrunched into a plastic bag at an antique store in Ironwood, Michigan. Every so often, I would take them out to admire the colors and the work"woman"ship. Because I was doing a couple of open studio sessions at IQF in Chicago a few weeks ago, I was compelled to make something from these blocks that would show them off, make them useful and, in some way, honor the unknown maker. So I sorted the blocks, rather arbitrarily by color of the corner pieces. Three blocks all had red and white stripes or checks in the outer corners. These three I made into a table runner, choosing blue for backing and border. The fourth block, with red and black checked pieces in the outer corners, became a pillow with blue piping and a zipper in back. I did simple machine quilting on both projects, adding diagonal lines by using the squares in the design as a guide. I love both the pillow and the runner. If you find nicely made and/or vibrantly colored orphan blocks, consider using them!

1 comment:

  1. Well aren't you just the bee's knees! Very cool Ms. D Rose! Up, up and Away!

    ReplyDelete